On the Move in the Community
With the On the Move in the Community program, Vélo Québec is taking a leadership position with municipalities and schools across Quebec to encourage active transportation by:
- Making it easier for children and their parents to engage in active transportation as part of their home-school-work commute.
- Creating safe environments to promote active transportation for the entire community.
We have introduced a number of concrete initiatives since 2005 that have helped us reach out to nearly 630,000 kids and their families across the province.
Benefits of the On the Move in the Community
- Less motorized traffic near schools
- Safer school routes for pedestrians and cyclists and solutions that ease parents’ fears and concerns
- Streets designed to enrich the community experience and create neighbourhoods that attract and retain families
- Children who get exercise every day and, as a result, are more physically fit and more attentive in class
On the Move in the Community at a glance
- 1208 schools
- 630,000 students and their families
- 15 regional program coordinators
- Presence in 17 of Quebec’s administrative regions
Take a look at our brochure to learn more about On the Move in the Community.
Concrete actions embraced by the On the Move in the Community program
School travel plan
On the Move to School activities