Every year, during In Town, Without My Car! Day, Vélo Québec highlights companies and organizations that take concrete action in the workplace to promote bicycle commuting among their employees and clients.
Bicycle Friendly Organization Awards
Any company or organization registered at Operation Bike-to-Work can present its candidacy for the Bicycle Friendly Organization Award. There are three different categories: companies or organizations with fewer than 100 employees, from 100 to 1000 employees, and 1000 employees or more.
“Through its annual Bicycle Friendly Organizations Awards, Vélo Québec wishes to highlight proactive and committed organizations that encourage their employees and customers to choose an active and sustainable means of transportation. These employers are reducing their environmental footprint and gaining a better corporate image by advancing the welfare of their employees through the promotion of sustainable mobility,” argues Suzanne Lareau, President and CEO of Vélo Québec.
Candidates are selected for the scope and importance of their efforts: bicycle parking (controlled access and open access spaces), on site sanitary facilities (change rooms, showers and lockers), awareness and mobilization activities, available self-serve bicycles or BIXI subscriptions, benefits for employees who commute by bicycle, etc.
PAST AWARD WINNERS
- Fewer than 100 employees: Recyc-Québec (Montréal)
- From 100 to 1000 employees: Cégep de Sherbrooke
- 1000 employees or more: Université Laval (Québec)
- Fewer than 100 employees: Goethe-Institut (Montréal)
- From 100 to 1000 employees: Biodôme de Montréal (Honourable mention: Cégep de Sherbrooke)
- 1000 employees or more: joint winners: CBC/Radio Canada and Technopôle Angus
- Fewer than 100 employees: Cycles Lambert
- From 100 to 1000 employees: joint winners: CSSS de la Montagne and Université du Québec à Rimouski
- 1000 employees or more: Cirque du Soleil
- Fewer than 100 employees: 5N Plus (Saint-Laurent)
- From 100 to 1000 employees: joint winners: Softimage and Maisonneuve-Rosemont Hospital
- Building manager category: SITQ in Montréal