As free as the air
Explore by Bike Presents Its 2010 Program>> par Vélo Québec Voyages
Montreal, Monday, January 25, 2010 – An exciting and varied program, special promotions, new routes and old favourites – that’s what Vélo Québec Voyages offers cyclists in 2010. Featuring sixty trips and getaways, the program is now available at www.explorebybike.com.
Explore by Bike proposes 23 routes on the Old Continent, as well as trips to Morocco and Vietnam. France still figures prominently on the program, with an impressive offering of destinations. Different excursions are also available in Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Ireland, Greece, Austria, Turkey and Croatia.
- Bordeaux-Madrid mythic bicycle tour, a 1,000 km route through the Landes forest, the Pays Basque mountains and the cities of Segovia and Madrid;
- Haute-Provence, a fascinating route in the least populated region of Provence;
- Slovenia, dubbed the Green Heart of Europe, one of the continent’s best-kept secrets;
- Italian Switzerland, a route through a valley in the Alps along the shores of Lake Maggiore, Lake Como and Lake Garda.
Need some heat and a change of scene? Explore by Bike proposes Hawaii, Costa Rica, Mexico and Florida, as well as different routes in Cuba. For a preview, visit the blogs of Richard Bélisle and Pierre Bouchard at www.veloquebecvoyages.com.
Most Beautiful Routes in North America
Getaways and trips in Quebec
For a weekend getaway or a week-long trip, Quebec remains the destination of choice on the continent. Explore by Bike proposes the most beautiful itineraries, using its extensive expertise to select the most enjoyable routes and friendliest inns and restaurants. A new circuit to discover this year: Mauricie National Park.
In 2010, forty cyclists and two guides are travelling across Canada with Explore by Bike. On the program: 5,300 km in 52 days, 1,500-metre-high mountain passes, wind-blown plains and legs varying from 70 to 185 km per day. Reservations can already be made for 2011! If you want to discover Canada, but are short on time, the program also offers different trips in Quebec, the Maritimes and Ontario.
New routes in the U.S.
Explore by Bike has added several new routes south of the 49th parallel. For those who like wide open spaces, majestic landscapes and high-quality roads, more than fifteen itineraries are now available.
Novelties to note:
- Athletes will be attracted by the trip to Lake Placid: three days along the tracks of the Iron Man in the Adirondack National Park.
- Nature lovers will be charmed by the Acadia Park circuit.
- Urbanites will want to join the excursion to Boston to participate in the Hub on Wheels, as well as the now traditional excursion to New York for the Five Boro Bike Tour.
- Those with a passion for both urban and rural scenery will opt for the Montreal – New York routes, either in the accelerated (6-day) or moderate (10-day) version.
- On Labour Day weekend, the program proposes an exciting four days getaway in the mountains of Vermont.
Historic Grand Tour
The 2010 Grand Tour follows in the footsteps of Samuel de Champlain. Starting at Glenns Falls in New York State, cyclists will discover a brand new route featuring Lake George, Lake Champlain, the Adirondacks and the Richelieu Valley. The Grand Tour is available in an integral version, from August 8 to 13, or a short version, from August 8 to 10.
Tour de France Stage with Yannick Cojan
Seasoned cyclists have a chance to take part in a stage of the Tour de France. On the program this year: Col du Tourmalet.
Puerto Rico with Yannick Cojan
Thrill-seekers will not want to miss “La Vuelta”, the Puerto Rico lighthouse cycling tour in February 2011.
Training and Touring Camps
Vélo Mag Bicycle Touring Camp in Bromont
On May 29 and June 5, touring cyclists are invited to improve their technique, learn how to ride as a member of a pack and extend their bicycle outings. Each of the two days combines short theoretical workshops with on-road outings.
Vélo Mag Training Camp in Vermont
From May 21 to 24, participants benefit from the expertise of seasoned coaches, who assess their cycling technique and provide tips on how to prepare for an outing. With excursions of 100 to 130 km per day, this camp helps cyclists improve as they pedal.
For Teens Only
This year, EXPLORE BY BIKE offers two Breakaway camps for 13- to 17-year-olds. A new circuit takes them through the Thousand Islands region and gives them an opportunity to enjoy numerous activities in addition to biking. The traditional version follows the magnificent route along the St. Lawrence River, from La Pocatière to the Bic National Park.
Montreal Bike Fest
From May 30 to June 6, tens of thousands of cyclists gather in Montreal for a week of cycling. A Bike Fest package is available so that people from outside the City can experience an unforgettable weekend. The complete program will be unveiled in the spring, but the following activities are already scheduled:
- Metropolitan Challenge, Sunday, May 30 (from 75 to 150 km)
- Tour la Nuit, Friday, June 4 (20 km)
- Tour de l'Île, Sunday, June 6 (50 km)
For further information
Explore by Bike
1251 Rachel Street East, Montreal QC H2J 2J9
514 521-8356 ext. 506 or 1 800 567-8356 (toll-free)
— 30 —
Explore by Bike
Press Agent, Vélo Québec
1-800-567-8356, ext. 358