Montreal Bike Fest: Unveiling of Program of 15th Edition
100 km Express Around the Island - a Montreal First!>> par Vélo Québec Événements
Montreal, Wednesday, April 3, 2013 – In February, Vélo Québec announced major changes to its famous Tour de l’Île de Montréal involving a wider choice of biking experiences. Today, with the unveiling of the full Montreal Bike Fest program, the organization is going one step further by announcing the addition of a 100 km Express route, a first in Montreal! Biking around the island under escort, in a peloton, at an average speed of 30km/hour, over a distance of 100 km; a unique cycling experience aimed at seasoned touring cyclists. The 2013 Montreal Bike Fest – presented by the Fédération des producteurs de lait du Québec, in cooperation with the Jean Coutu Group –, promises more than ever to showcase the city by promoting its ambiance, culture and people as well through Tour la Nuit, the Metropolitan Challenge, Bike-to-Work Day and Rendez-vous Cycle Chic. A one-of-a-kind happening not to be missed, from May 26 to June 2!
- A choice of FIVE BIKING EXPERIENCES at the Tour de l’Île de Montréal: 25, 50, 50 Express, 100 Découverte and 100 Express Vélo Mag;
- FREE PARTICIPATION for kids 12 and under in the Tour de l’Île de Montréal (25-50 km routes) and Tour la Nuit, in cooperation with the WIXX campaign;
- A finish site located the OLYMPIC PARK ESPLANADE;
- Two 200 km bike getaways with EN ROUTE TO THE TOUR DE L’ÎLE WITH VIA RAIL CANADA leaving from Quebec City and Ottawa;
- A MONTRÉAL CYCLE CHIC fashion contest at a Happy Hour event organized in cooperation with the brand new magazine Vélo Urbain.
“This year’s Montreal Bike Fest is marked by diversity and novelty,” says Joëlle Sévigny, Executive Director of Vélo Québec Événements and Voyages. “In addition to offering interesting new routes on Montreal Island as well as in the greater metropolitan area, the different experiences proposed allow cyclists of all levels to enjoy a unique festival atmosphere. Designed for leisure bikers, touring cyclists, city lovers and adventure-seekers, the Montreal Bike Fest is more than ever the major annual biking event in Montreal, to experience on your own, with family or among friends!”
“During this bike-crazy week, drinking on the road is permitted, the legal driving age has been abolished and no training is required! We’re obviously at the Montreal Bike Fest” quips Sébastien Delorme, comedian and spokesman for the Montreal Bike Fest. “In fact, drinking is recommended in order to stay hydrated and make the most of the cycling events. Children, whom we love to see physically active, can ‘drive’ by pedalling in the street. As for training, there’s no need: this is not a competition - just thousands of people coming together for the pleasure of biking according to their own tastes and motivations.”
Every year, the first biking event of the season and the largest road cyclist happening in Quebec – comes to the greater Montreal area. The Metropolitan Challenge, which this year leaves from Saint-Lazare, is a wonderful opportunity to get together with other cyclists and go the distance of your choice – 75, 100, 125 or 150 km – on a relaxed route in keeping with the start of the season. On Sunday, May 26, choose your distance and bike your OWN challenge!
Every day, twelve months a year, thousands of Montrealers ride their bikes. For them, it is THE way to get around – healthy, economical and definitely fast. During the week of the Montreal Bike Fest, they are invited to get on their bikes and put fun before work. For more information about the day of activities planned at La Fontaine Park, go to www.velo.qc.ca. On Wednesday, May 29, do your OWN bike to work!
RENDEZ-VOUS CYCLE CHIC
On Thursday, May 30, as part of the Montreal Bike Fest, the brand new magazine Vélo Urbain invites cyclists to Rendez-vous Cycle Chic , a Happy Hour combining biking and fashion. The best photos from the event will appear in the June edition of Vélo Urbain. To find out more, follow Montréal Cycle Chic, the photo blog spotlighting Montreal cyclists in their daily commutes.
TOUR LA NUIT
As soon as night falls, thousands of colourful, costumed cyclists take to the streets as part of a 25-km joyous urban procession through five boroughs. The beauty and energy of nocturnal Montreal! Friday, May 31, light yourself up and do your OWN tour!
TOUR DE L’ÎLE DE MONTRÉAL
In its 29th year, this great cycling classic is expanding, offering no fewer than five route options. On Sunday, June 2, choose your OWN Tour:
- 25 or 50 km: the classic formula allowing cyclists to bike on streets closed to motorists and reclaim the city at their own pace across 8 boroughs.
- 50 Express: the accelerated version of Tour de l’Île de Montréal where cyclists travel at 30 km/h for 1½ hours on closed-off downtown streets.
- 100 Découverte: the morning route allowing cyclists to literally bike around the island and discover the Montreal shoreline. The first 70 km take place on a marked route open to motorists and the last 30 km on the regular car-free route of the Tour de l’Île.
- 100 Express Vélo Mag: a Montreal first aimed at seasoned touring cyclists, who will ride under escort, in a peloton, at an average speed of 30km/hour along the 100 km riverside route of the Tour de l’Île de Montréal. Maximum of 200 places.
- En route to the Tour de l’Île de Montréal with VIA Rail Canada: On Friday May 31 and Saturday, June 1, Vélo Québec Voyages invites cyclists from Quebec City and Ottawa to come to Montreal by bike to participate in the Tour de l’Île de Montréal. VIA Rail Canada will ensure their return home. Montrealers also stand to benefit, since a train package to Quebec City or Ottawa is also available.
INFORMATION AND REGISTRATION
514 521-8356, ext. 504 / 1 800 567-8356, ext. 504 / www.velo.qc.ca
BIXI It is possible to ride in Tour la Nuit and Tour de l’Île de Montréal on one of the popular BIXI bikes. Whether or not you are member, it will cost you only $10 per event (in addition to registration fee). Information at www.montreal.bixi.com and reservation at 514 789-BIXI (2494).
ROULER EN GANG, ON Y GAGNE! You are a group of 25 people or more and you want to produce a project, raise funds for a worthwhile cause or hold a corporate activity? Benefit from attractive rates and a personalized starting point.
2013 MONTREAL BIKE FEST
The Montreal Bike Fest is an event produced by Vélo Québec. Presented by the Fédération des producteurs de lait du Québec, in collaboration with the Jean Coutu Group, the event also relies on its associate sponsors, Gaz Métro, Desjardins Group, Provigo, WIXX and the Société de transport de Montréal (STM), and its official suppliers, Sports Experts and VIA Rail Canada. Regarding its public partners, the Montreal Bike Fest has the invaluable support of Ville de Montréal, the Secrétariat à la region métropolitaine, Tourisme Québec, Tourisme Montréal, the Olympic Park Esplanade and the Direction de santé publique de l’Agence de la santé et des services sociaux de Montréal.
ABOUT VÉLO QUÉBEC
Vélo Québec, a non-profit organization, has been a key player on the Quebec cycling scene since 1967. Our organization works tirelessly to promote the use of the bicycle, whether for recreation and tourism or as a clean, active mode of transportation, in order to protect the environment and improve citizens’ health and wellbeing.
– 30 –