You would like to share your interest in getting around without a car? All you need is a little support to inspire some of your co-workers to give fun before work a try?
Start a Bike-to-Work Club
A few good reasons to start a Bike-to-Work Club
- Support the organization in its efforts to develop cycling facilities, benefits and activities.
- Share the fun before work lifestyle with your co-workers.
- Organize activities for cycling employees.
- Learn to choose the right bike and clothing.
- Suggest an action plan to your employer for the development of this mode of transport in its business.
- Assess your parking needs and put together a file (budget, suppliers, etc.) that you can present to decision makers.
- Dedicate a bulletin board or a section of the Intranet to bicycle commuting.
- Help Human Resources set up a company policy that fosters bicycle commuting: less restrictive dress code, active transportation allowance, etc.
- Inspire other colleagues to choose cycling as means of transportation.
- Get each club member to sponsor a newcomer.
To build a pleasant and enriching social network!
- Share the fun before work lifestyle with your co-workers
- Help newbies worried about sharing the road with motorists
- Counter negative stereotypes about commuting by bike
- Suggest and exchange safe routes
- Share advice from guest specialists: maintenance and repair workshops, etc*
- Organize group activities, e.g., ride the Tour de l’Île de Montréal or go for a ride or picnic along bicycle paths near the workplace.
To develop a bicycle friendly workplace!
- Express your needs to management – parking, showers, lockers, incentives for cyclists, etc, – based on your collective cycling experience
- Maximize your chances to be heard by company management or building managers
- Highlight the advantages of a bicycle friendly workplace, e.g., employees in better shape, lower parking expenses, and a positive corporate image
- Assist managers in decision-making
- Share your enthusiasm on your neighbourhood, borough or city level, and contribute to a better quality of life for all citizens.
- Keep up co-workers’ interest in bicycle commuting
- Recruit new co-workers
- Highlight the positive aspects of bicycle commuting: fun, efficiency, respect for the environment, better health, and savings
- Spread the idea of fun before work!
How to organize a Bike-to-Work Club?
Starting the club
- Invite cycling co-workers to a first and founding meeting of the Club
- Establish a modus operandi (number of meetings and frequency, task sharing)
- Schedule a meeting before the start of the cycling season, to determine a plan of action for the year.
- Define your needs – secure parking, showers, a change room, and lockers
- Put together a file – number of actual and potential cyclists, your goals, cost estimates
- Name one or more co-worker(s) to represent your Club in your dealings with management
- Identify those in company management most favourable to your cause and state your case
- At this meeting, propose solutions as well as ways of putting them into practice, rather than simply highlight problems
- Demonstrate how the required investments will be beneficial and how they will save the company money
- Help Human Resources set up a company policy that fosters bicycle commuting (less restrictive dress code, active transportation allowance, etc.)
- Start a newsletter or contribute to an existing one
- Manage a space dedicated to bicycle commuting on bulletin boards or Intranet
- Hold social events and invite potential cyclists
- Organize rides at lunchtime or after work
- Acknowledge the efforts of bicycle commuting enthusiasts in the company newsletter. Highlight their achievements and share their ideas.
- Offer sponsorship services between seasoned cyclists and newcomers
- Make the most of events such as the Montreal Bike Fest or the opening of a new bicycle path
- Make the most of orientation day for new employees to promote bicycle commuting
- Hand out bicycle path maps to co-workers
It’s never too late, nor too early, to establish a BIKE-TO-WORK CLUB in your company... to share the fun and exchange efficiency pointers; to act together for the environment; to save money and improve your physical and mental health!